Bodnant Gardens is around eight miles from Llandudno, on the outskirts of the small hamlet of Eglwysbach. Founded in 1874 and developed by five generations of one family, it was gifted to the National Trust in 1949.
The garden spans 80 acres of hillside and includes formal Italianate terraces, informal shrub borders stocked with plants from around the world, The Dell, a gorge garden, a number of notable trees, and a waterfall. Since 2012, new areas have opened including the Winter garden, Old Park Meadow, Yew Dell and The Far End, a riverside garden. Furnace Wood and Meadow opened in 2017.
There are plans to open more new areas, including Heather Hill and Cae Poeth Meadow. Bodnant Garden was visited by over 270,000 people in 2019 and is famous for its Laburnum arch, the longest in the UK, which flowers in May and June. The garden is also celebrated for its link to the plant hunters of the early 1900s whose expeditions formed the base of the garden’s four National Collections of plants – Magnolia, Embothrium, Eucryphia and Rhododendron.
Enjoy a day at Bodnant Gardens, 8 miles from Llandudno. Bodnant is an 80-acre garden, the result of plant hunting expeditions over a century ago.
See the laburnum arch, rhododendrons, azaleas, herbaceous borders, lawned areas, or the Dell.